grub-devel

Re: How many sectors for GRUB 2

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: How many sectors for GRUB 2
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 21:05:59 +0400

В Sat, 03 Nov 2012 17:38:09 +0100
Ulf Zibis <address@hidden> пишет:

> Am 03.11.2012 16:58, schrieb Andrey Borzenkov:
> >> No, I'm absolutely unsure. That's why I'm asking here on the list.
> >> My question in little other words: How to dertermine, how many
> >> bytes of the gap between MBR and 1st partition are used by GRUB 2,
> >> so should not be deleted or shrinked or used otherwise
> >>

> > You could try findgrub
> > http://www.unixversal.com/linux/openSUSE/findgrub-4.4.1.tgz and/or
> > bootinfoscript
> > (https://github.com/arvidjaar/bootinfoscript/blob/master/bootinfoscript
> > - I point to my repo because SF variant did not work with GRUB2 we
> >    have here on openSUSE). Both scripts scan disks for bootloaders.
>
> Thanks!
> Hm, it seems you are now getting unsure about your first answer:
> "core.img is *the* part of grub which is installed in MBR gap"

core.img is the part that is installed in MBR gap, but it does not mean
that it was this particular file. grub-install creates core.img
in /boot/grub and embeds it in the same run, but it is also possible to
directly use

grub-mkimage -o /tmp/foo.img ...
grub-bios-setup -c /tmp/foo.img ...

You wanted to be absolutely safe and sure. The only way to be is to
reinstall grub using grub-install.

> Hopefully some developers are reading this thread. Maybe they could
> implement a new option, reporting GRUB 2's size in the MBR gap.

Did you try any of script I mentioned? If they did not work we need to
fix them.