grub-devel

RE: FW: grub-efi with latest mac mini

From: John Frankish
Subject: RE: FW: grub-efi with latest mac mini
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 11:42:09 +0000

No, I had to take unicode.pf2 from a deb

> >> Hm, sounds like there is a firmware bug in GOP. What a surprise.
> >
> > insmod font
> > loadfont unicode
> > set debug=video
> > videotest
> > video/efi_gop.c 388: GOP: keeping mode 0 video/efi_gop.c 496: GOP:
> > initializing FB @ 0x91000000 1280x1024x32 video/efi_gop.c 521: GOP:
> > success <ctrl c> color 0...
>

> Could you try reverting r4365 ? How many graphics cards and how many
> outputs do you have?

Sorry, but what is meant by "reverting r4365"?

This is a mid-2011 mac mini server.

There's one graphics output (hdmi) unless you count the thunderbolt(?) connector

There's one graphics card, an Intel HD3000:

lspci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09

Xorg.0.log
[    17.023] (II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) Sandybridge
Mobile (GT2)

> >> same vmlinuz/initrd without problems.
> >>
> >> You probably boot in BIOS mode with GRUB Legacy which results in
> >> completely different hardware init and presence of BIOS tables in
> >> 0xa0000-0x100000 range. This probably makes difference but the issue
> >> is either Linux or Apple hardware init.
> >>
> > I note the hd controller does not start in ahci mode with grub legacy, but
> otherwise OK.
> >

> It's just another indication of what I told.
>
> > Should the fakebios command help with grub2-efi?
>
> Probably not.

So we're saying that I cannot boot the mac mini into linux using
grub2-efi/linux-3.0.21 as things stand today?