grub-devel

Re: grub-efi with latest mac mini

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub-efi with latest mac mini
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 11:57:09 +0200

On 04.06.2012 10:12, John Frankish wrote:

> I've been trying to get grub-efi to work with the latest mac mini.
>
> To avoid having no way to boot if I cannot get grub-efi to work, I'm booting
> via rEFIt at the moment.
>
> Grub-1.99 is installed to /mnt/sda2/efi/grub, and I can boot grub-efi via the
> rEFIt menu, but:

1.99 is old, especially for EFI. You need to use something newer.

> 1. I do not get any screen display until the linux os (3.0.21) starts to boot

Most likely GRUB 1.99 has autochosen a resolution which is too high for
your screen or you've beet hit by some other EFI bug in 1.99 which,
again, is too old.

> 2. Once booted, neither the usb mouse nor usb keyboard work

What happens after Linux is loaded is outside GRUB control.

> Grub-efi was installed with:
>
> $ x86_64-grub-mkimage -O x86_64-efi -d /usr/local/lib/x86_64-grub/x86_64-efi
> -o grub.efi -p "" part_gpt part_msdos hfsplus fat ext2 normal chain boot
> configfile linux multiboot pci lspci setpci usb_keyboard efi_gop ohci uhci
> usb video

Use grub-install, not the outdated manual instructions.

> I've use the following for the display in grub.cfg:
>
> insmod font
> loadfont /efi/grub/unicode.pf2
> insmod gfxterm
> set gfxmode=auto
> set gfxpayload=keep
> terminal_output gfxterm
>
> ..and since I've used the usb module in grub-mkimage, I would have thought
> the usb keyboard/mouse would work

USB bus modules without the relevant USB device modules will only
takeover the USB but not make anything useful but it will prevent
firmware keyboard driver to work. Either add usb_keyboard and usbms or
remove USB modules altogether. Better still, use grub-install.