grub-devel

Re: gettext in scripts

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: gettext in scripts
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:25:13 +0100

On 11.02.2012 01:21, Andreas Born wrote:
> I think for common use cases it would be enough to add additionally to
> the already implemented locale_dir=$dir1 a second environment variable
> like additional_locale_dir=$dir2. That would overcome the problem of
> reloading all directories/ comparing lists. It offers less
> flexibility, but a too long list of files to search would probably
> have a negative performance penalty anyway.
I think everyone reached this consensus. Additionally it makes it
similar to bash with TEXTDOMAIN variable. So the use is
secondary_locale_dir=<my .mo directory>
echo $"Text to translate"

Because I discovered an important bug in gettext (inability to disable
it or change locale_dir) it needed a restructure and squeezing this was
trivial. Given gettext importance I did so.

However currently there is no "printf" in grub and it would be too big
for freeze exception. Lack of printf puts limits to localisation.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko