grub-devel

Re: Mouse support in GRUB

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Mouse support in GRUB
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 19:39:28 +0200

On 01.10.2011 19:12, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> On 1 October 2011 15:39, Tirtha Chatterjee
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi GRUB devels,
>>
>> recently I came across the improvements made by Microsoft Windows 8 in
>> their bootloader.
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/20/reengineering-the-windows-boot-experience.aspx
>>
>> However I despise the operating system itself ( :-P ), the idea of a
>> beautiful graphical bootloader with mouse support integrated into it
>> felt amazing to me. It lowered the barrier for the user, and gave the
>> user an at-home experience right from switching on the computer. I
> I don't think the user needs to feel exceptionally home at the
> bootloader so long as the bootloader does its job well - boots the
> system asap.

I agree. Also using keyboard is much faster and precise in this case and
doesn't need any additional knowledge. So entry barrier talk is a nonsense.
However in the domain of "fancy" people have strange preference and I
decided long time ago to allow such features as long as it's well coded
and disabled by default.
> If you really want to lower the barrier then it would be good to have
> touchscreen support on devices that have one. With a touchscreen the
> user could select from the menu with much more ease than with a mouse.
> This however needs the touch sensor come aligned with the screen or
> some calibration needs to be done to figure out what part of the touch
> sensor corresponds to which part of the screen.

I agree with this as well. Additionally some device can work in tablet
mode. Actually I tried to order touchbook because of exactly this reason
but never got one.