grub-devel

Re: Mouse support in GRUB

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Mouse support in GRUB
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:12:22 +0200

On 1 October 2011 15:39, Tirtha Chatterjee
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi GRUB devels,
>
> recently I came across the improvements made by Microsoft Windows 8 in
> their bootloader.
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/20/reengineering-the-windows-boot-experience.aspx
>
> However I despise the operating system itself ( :-P ), the idea of a
> beautiful graphical bootloader with mouse support integrated into it
> felt amazing to me. It lowered the barrier for the user, and gave the
> user an at-home experience right from switching on the computer. I

I don't think the user needs to feel exceptionally home at the
bootloader so long as the bootloader does its job well - boots the
system asap.

If you really want to lower the barrier then it would be good to have
touchscreen support on devices that have one. With a touchscreen the
user could select from the menu with much more ease than with a mouse.
This however needs the touch sensor come aligned with the screen or
some calibration needs to be done to figure out what part of the touch
sensor corresponds to which part of the screen.

Also if you want the user feel at home so much they don't need to
touch the keyboard how do you tackle the question much more
challenging than how to select from a graphical menu - what to select
from there, or what to load from the disk in case the menu is not
preconfigured.

Thanks

Michal