grub-devel

Re: Integrating grub2tc into upstream GRUB

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Integrating grub2tc into upstream GRUB
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 22:42:19 +0200

On 06.07.2011 15:12, Simon Schubert wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> On 07/06/2011 02:30 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>>  Note: I treat truecrypt as a proprietary software but due to its
>>  popularity it makes sense to support it.
>
> Is it proprietary?
It is. The license doesn't confer you the freedoms of libre software
(like modifying and redistributing). Just one example: if you breach any
of the vague claims you can't never ever use it again. For life.
>   I'm currently not using Windows, so I don't have a working grub2tc
> setup.  But I'm happy to help, and it did work before.

I think I can do straightforward translation and then someone will
probably want to test it.
>>  On 06.07.2011 14:28, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>> > Hello, I've had a look into your grub2tc project and I think it can
>> > be successfully changed into a GRUB2 module. extract.rb would need
>> > to be rewritten in C. tcloader.S would mostly disappear and be
>> > replaced with a small C code to set the registers and load the
>> > file. Could you tell me the expected load address and register
>> > values?
>
> All what I ever found out went into these files, so they are our only
> documentation now :)

They are sufficiently readable but have license problem
> What I remember was that the TC boot code expects the data blocks to
> be in one of two possible locations.
>
>> > Also current license prohibits direct use of your code in GRUB2.
>> > Could you drop the Affero clause? IT's useful mainly for
>> > network-based projects.
>
> Yes, I'm happy to relicense it as GPL3 for the use in GRUB2.

Best would be GPLv3+. Just drop the "Affero" word.
>> > Also a possibility is to dump the contents of MBR gap on grub-setup
>> > and if it's a truecrypt loader, save it in a file.
>
> I think I looked into this, but the code is slightly different and
> accesses data of the gap that will be overwritten by grub.  Therefore
> I decided to use the cd image boot code.

Ok.
>> > Do you know of any signature which can be used for this? This way
>> > we can integrate truecrypt into grub-mkconfig. Thank you in
>> > advance
>
> I'd have to go and install TC and/or read the code.  I'm pretty sure
> TC uses some signature internally, but I forget what it was.

Ok.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko