grub-devel

Determining boot server and own IP on sparc64-ieee1275

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Determining boot server and own IP on sparc64-ieee1275
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:13:20 +0200

Hello, David. I'm currently working on improving network support in
GRUB2.  On IEEE1275 we use read/write functions to receive/send packets
in conjunction with a IP+UDP+ARP+BOOTP+TFTP implementation. On IBM
machines when netbooted we get BOOTP/DHCP reply use by IEEE1275 in
"bootppkt" property which allows us to easily, reliably and
automatically configure GRUB to continue loading from the same server
using same network parameters. However on my Sun Netra X1 I have to use
RARP and I haven't found the network boot configuration in device tree.
So my questions are:
1) Is there any way to retrieve client and server IP on sparc64 used by
IEEE1275 or do we have to redo RARP ourselves?
According to a web search newer sparc machines use BOOTP or DHCP instead
of or as an alternative to RARP.
2) Do they store bootp reply in some property?
3) If they don't is there a way to at least determine which protocol was
used (RARP, BOOTP or DHCP)?
Thank you in advance.

--
Regards