grub-devel

RE: grub-mklayout - different input format?

From: Treutwein Bernhard
Subject: RE: grub-mklayout - different input format?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:39:29 +0200

Dear Colin,

according to Vladimir "phcoder" mail (see atachment)
grub-mklayout understands only the format delivered
by ckbcomp and not the general keymaps(5) format.

Please revert the comitted help text bevor somebody else
gets unusable keyboards ...

regards
--
  Bernhard Treutwein

[...]
> > Is the format understood by grub-mklayout the keymaps(5) format?
>
> Yes, it is.

[...]
> I have committed improved text for future versions of the manual page,
> adding the line:
>
>   grub-mklayout processes a keyboard layout description in keymaps(5)
>   format into a format that can be used by GRUB's keymap command.
>
> --
> Colin Watson
> address@hidden

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: grub-mklayout - errors & unusable keyboard Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:43:19 +0200
On 27.06.2011 16:16, Treutwein Bernhard wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
>> Filing a bug won't help me get more time to it. It would be much more
>> use if you supply the pairs of symbolic names and codepoints.
> The problem is (currently) that there a *lots* of unknown keys and
> I don't really know to which codepoints and or funtion keys these
> belong. See also attached list of error messages and the keymap
> which produced these errors. This keymap is fully compliant with
> the definition given in keymaps(5).
I'm fine with what grub-mklayout is able to do right now. I'm not
interested in reading through the tons of docs to know what the complete
definition is. If you're bothered by these problems, supply me with
either a patch or a definition which can be relatively easily
transformed into the code. Ideally a table which maps the symbols that
you have to what ckbcomp would have generated, possibly with wildcards.
> The guy who helped me to track down the problem has offered to
> write a complete parser, which will produce a table of the
> following form
>
> state  keynumber  actioncode
>

> where state      reflects the shift/modifier state
>       keynumber  a hex code fo the key in question
>       actioncode a codepoint for printable characters or
>                  symbol name for function keys
>
> this table should be easily parseable for grub-mklayout.

This would require almost complete rewrite of grub-mklayout. Again, not
interested in those.
We're in doocracy, best way to get anything done is to do it yourself

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko

--- End Message ---