grub-devel

Issues with Linux loading code

From: Matthew Garrett
Subject: Issues with Linux loading code
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:04:04 +0100

I'm currently handling some issues related to the kernel ending up on
top of used EFI regions on some machines. These seem to be exacerbated
by some of grub's behaviour. It seems that the kernel will always be
loaded at GRUB_LINUX_BZIMAGE_ADDR, which is problematic in two cases -
one being that the kernel can be configured with a different start
address, and also that the firmware may have put code there that we wish
to preserve.

At present it doesn't seem possible to indicate to the relocator that if
there isn't enough space for the decompressed kernel (ie, the init_size
parameter from the header) at the desired address, it should put the
kernel somewhere else making sure to adhere to the alignment constraints
the kernel provides. The load address and the alignment then need to be
written back into the kernel header.

Or am I misinterpreting the behaviour of the relocation code?

--
Matthew Garrett | address@hidden