grub-devel

Re: Full documentation for GRUB2

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: Re: Full documentation for GRUB2
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:19:09 +0200

schrieb Treutwein Bernhard am 2011-03-24 16:06:
> Hi Bill & Robert,
>
> [...]
>>> Is there some complete official documentation of GRUB2, or is GRUB2 full
>>> documentation only in source code?;-)
>>
>> I think the Grub2 developers would welcome volunteers to help write
>> documentation.
>
> this is kind of a hen & egg problem.
>
> I have no idea how I can find out how to use modules where I
> have to guess how to use them. There was a nice remark on
> by phcoder on the request list that there are usb mass storage
> and uhci & ehci modules, which I tried and I was able to confirm
> that insmod'ing uhci.mod and usbms.mod on a system, which is not
> able to boot via bios from usb, enabled this system to boot
> from usb by chainloading (usb0)+1. But it is very time consuming
> and frustrating to experiment with different modules just for
> documentation.

I had a simmilar experience regarding the loopback system - which is by
itself really great. The manual gives a hint of the command, but no
description and no example. I got some working examples from Ubuntu
[ubuntu] and from pendrivelinux.com [pendrive:0][pendrive:1], but no
documentation.

>From my experience it's not working to get some newbies or helpers to
write docs. It's the developers task and skill to document features.
Others can then edit this information into nice manuals and spice it
with examples (which they can figure out easily with the raw docs).

Moreover googling is no alternative to proper documentation.
I'd like to contribute examples that I found to the grub docs, but the
manual gives no hint how to do so... ;-)

Patrick

[ubuntu] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
[pendrive:0]http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-via-grub2-using-linux/
[pendrive:1] http://pendrivelinux.com/downloads/multibootlinux/grub.cfg
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at student dot tugraz dot at>
Student of Telemati_cs_, Techn. University Graz, Austria