grub-devel

Re: hybrid DOS/GPT and BIOS Boot Partition

From: walt
Subject: Re: hybrid DOS/GPT and BIOS Boot Partition
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:39:26 -0800

On 07/02/2010 05:39 AM, Robert Millan wrote:

When it comes to GPT, GRUB solved this by using a new instance of the
same unmanaged extension of the MBR: the BIOS Boot Partition...

Hi, I'm following grub2 again after a long absence, so I'm way behind,
sorry.

I have grub2 working perfectly (thank you :) on my standard x86 and
x86_64 machines, but only if install grub2 to a DOS-partitioned disk.

When I try to install grub2 to a GPT-partitioned disk, the installer
refuses because there is no BIOS Boot Partition.

Is there a way to make this configuration work?  (I've used gdisk to
convert DOS partition tables to GPT, so far.)

Thanks!