grub-devel

Re: Guidance on conflicts between GNU GRUB and proprietary software

From: Grégoire Sutre
Subject: Re: Guidance on conflicts between GNU GRUB and proprietary software
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 23:46:05 +0200

On 09/28/2010 09:05 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

Using an embedding partition on msdos as an optional alternative (not as
replacement) to MBR gap is a clear possibility, good idea and was
proposed before but details are very unclear. Like:
- How to create such partition
- How does grub find it and ensures that it's an embedding partition?
Any false positive will result in data loss. Obviously no msdos type is
completely unused by now so it's not a way.

We could borrow a partition type that is reliably used only by boot managers (for similar purposes). Ok, we may overwrite some boot manager code sitting in that partition. But would this be different from what happens in the GPT case?

Regarding the question of whether such an MSDOS partition type exists, I did not look very hard, but 45h comes to mind. This type is used by the Boot-US boot manager. It is reported as such by NetBSD fdisk. It is not listed in the known types of Linux fdisk. Are you aware of other uses for this partition type?

If we really want to embed in an MSDOS partition, selecting a partition type that is already used for similar purposes is IMHO our best option. This would be a step in a direction to set a ``standard'' MSDOS type for boot partitions. We don't need one partition type per boot-loader software anyway.

Grégoire