grub-devel

Re: Booting 64-bit Linux on a Macbook5,2

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: Booting 64-bit Linux on a Macbook5,2
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:02:38 -0700

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:47:44 -0400
Patrick Doyle <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply.  I am able to boot either the 32-bit or the
> 64-bit kernel via grub when it is installed in /dev/sda3 (my Linux
> partition).  But I have to set acpi=off (or maxcpus=1) in order to
> boot the kernel.

I am running 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 on my MacBookPro5,1 using rEFIt and
GRUB (Ubuntu stock version, 1.98).  I didn't do anything fancy like
using an EFI GRUB or adding special kernel parameters.  I get full use
of both cores.  I'm not an expert on the Mac platform so I don't know
if rEFIt is making it work for me or whatever -- all I can say is that
it works fine for me this way.

Regards,
Colin