grub-devel

Re: LiveCD bootloader

From: Brendan Trotter
Subject: Re: LiveCD bootloader
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 11:03:43 +0930

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Teresa e Junior <address@hidden> wrote:
> What do you mean with that? Let us suppose, I set:
>
> GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x800,1024x768,640x480
>
> and if the hardware supports the first, it will use the first, and so
> forth?

Not all of my previous assumptions were obsolete (and this time I
checked the source code for GRUB2 to make sure).

If the video card and software supports the first video mode then GRUB
will use the first video mode; regardless of whether or not the
monitor itself supports the video mode.

This means that: for the monitors I have here; for the newest 3 (LCD)
monitors you'll get 1280x800 and it will work fine (although probably
a little blurry due to not using the native resolution of any of the
monitor's); for the largest CRT you'll probably get a squashed image
that might still be readable (within the monitors maximum frequency,
but unsupported aspect ratio); for the next CRT you'll get a black
screen with an error message from the on screen display; for the next
2 CRTs you'll get an unreadable (flickering/rolling) mess; and for the
last monitor (a very old CRT) you'll probably cause permanent damage.

Cheers,

Brendan