grub-devel

Re: Plans on 1.99 release

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Plans on 1.99 release
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 01:52:27 +0200

On 08/28/2010 01:31 PM, Aleš Nesrsta wrote:
> Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

>>> Maybe I've missed something. When I did it some months ago was working
>>> fine, but we had some design issue (I think that Vladimir wanted to
>>> change something, I don't remember if I changed or I didn't).
>>>
>>> In any case: if nobody has done anything after that, I'll try to catchup
>>> and make the required changes.
>>>

>> It's sitting in
>> sftp://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/grub/branches/kbdlayouts/. I already
>> did most of the necessary changes. There are still issues with
>> grub-kbcomp, some USB issues (hub code,
>>
> Hi Vladimir,
> what is the issue(s) with USB (hub code) ?

The issue was that we were using getStatus every time we polled for new
devices which suposedly (I fixed few other bugs in the code I used at
the time so, I'm not sure) drove hub in my USB keyboard crazy. The
correct way is to poll interrupt pipe.
Another thing I added is the ability to do background transfers. It is
important for USB keyboard support because otherwise we lose messages on
keyboard interrupt pipe. It triggered a bug in uhci module. Now there
are 2 issues:
1) code is new or modified. Needs testing.
2) On yeeloong the data read from mass storage is sometimes corrupted.
Happens in mainline, not sure about other branches. It seems that it
wasn't the case before. It's either a regression (perhaps from my code
for partial transfers) or cache issues (some cache isn't correctly flushed)
> Could I help You with it - at least with testing ?

Yes, a test run of keylayouts branch on your hardware would be helpful.
Especially I'm interested if USB data corruption happens in your case too.