grub-devel

Big Endian fix patch (was: Re: Couple more fixes for Linux raid metadata

From: Doug Nazar
Subject: Big Endian fix patch (was: Re: Couple more fixes for Linux raid metadata 1.x support)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:00:53 -0400

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 01:20:34PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 01:20:34PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Now this is on a powerpc64 system, so it is big endian.  That number by
> > the way is FFFFFFFFFFFFFF00.
> >
> > I wonder if some part of the 1.x raid handling code has an endianess bug.
> >
> > Got any guesses I can try before I just go convert back to 0.9 raids?
> > I really hate giving up on things that ought to work and loose the
> > debugging opportunity.
>
> Turns out it very much was endian issues.
>
> Here is a patch that fixes it for me.
>
> I am using your two recent patches as well.

I'd worried about endianess while testing. I've been spending the last 2 days trying to setup a QEMU powerpc64 image to run some regression testing but it's taking forever (combination of old P4 computer and QEMU giving me random errors from the cdrom drive).

I'll run it through the grinder in a bit.

Doug