grub-devel

Re: how to compile the grub legacy on AMD64

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: how to compile the grub legacy on AMD64
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:17:54 +0100

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 04:06:32PM +0800, Bai Shuwei wrote:
>     When i compile grub on my AMD64, i get the error for configure
> command without options.

To save other people's time, you should always quote exact error
messages rather than paraphrasing them like this.

> And it is successful when i use the ./configure --host=i386-linux, i
> use the cross-compile tool. But i get the 32bits binary grub.

Well, that is what the Debian package does too even on amd64, so you're
in good company.

Leaving out configure options at least ought to get you something that
basically works - if it doesn't, it's a bug - but the options used by
your distribution's packaging will generally be better.

Anyway, I don't believe that GRUB Legacy worked on amd64 without
patches, and it certainly doesn't work on modern toolchains without
patches.  Those patches are in the Debian source package and probably
elsewhere.

> And the grub2.0 has replace grub1.0 in the apt mirror. I cannot
> download the grub from source mirror.

Again, detail - several different distributions use apt, so it's only
meaningful to talk about an apt mirror when you also say what
distribution you're using.  If it's Debian, then while the grub package
does now depend on grub-pc (i.e. GRUB 2), you should still find that
'apt-get source grub' gets you the source package for GRUB Legacy.  In
fact, I'm not aware of an apt-using distribution for which this is
untrue.

Since this is the development list for GRUB 2 and few people here are
interested in hacking on GRUB Legacy any more, a different question to
you: why do you need to use GRUB Legacy rather than GRUB 2?  What could
we improve so that you can use GRUB 2 instead?

Regards,