grub-devel

Re: Grub data clobbered by Novell ZENworks (was: Chainloading GRUB2 from

From: Tim Booth
Subject: Re: Grub data clobbered by Novell ZENworks (was: Chainloading GRUB2 from Lilo)
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:57:55 +0100

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for your response.  I think my original question was more to do
with using lnxboot.img than with Lilo per se, but I totally agree that
my "solution" stinks.  If there is an easy workaround within Grub then
that would save a lot of hassle.

Following your suggestion I made the two files and a quick hexdump+diff
reveals that sector 6 has been overwritten.  This begins with the
characters ZISD and thus led me to the good explanation here:

http://www.novell.com/communities/node/5839/grub-and-zisd

I have an older version than documented above, so moving the sector
doesn't help and sector 6 just gets clobbered every time.

The fix suggested on the site shifts up 13 sectors to sector 17.  This
suggests that newer versions of ZISD use a lot more space and just may
not fit alongside Grub2 at all, but I don't have such a version to try.

In my case there is only one sector changed, but I have no way to stop
that particular sector being clobbered.  Is there a way to make Grub
skip that sector?

Cheers,

TIM