grub-devel

Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:22:52 +0200

> Hi,
>
> i would like to learn how GNU xorriso can make
> use of GRUB.
>
> Are there any specs available, or an example
> of a GRUB enhanced ISO 9660 image that boots
> from CD on PC BIOSes ?
>  =20
GRUB2 iso generated with grub-mkrescue is a bit special: it can be boot
as either CD, HDD or floppy. For CD boot it follows El Torito no
emulation boot. For booting from HDD or floppy it adds bootcode into
begining of iso image. I think you fond only the second part and missed
the first part
> I know about ECMA-119 (ISO 9660) and El Torito
> CD booting specs, but few about GRUB.
>

> In january 2010 Robert Millan announced
> GNU isofsmk. In the course of the following
> discussions he wrote:
>  =20
Robert is unavailable right now but I'll happily discuss GRUB and
xorriso collaboration. Would you mind joining our IRC channel?

--=20
Regards
Vladimir '=CF=86-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko