grub-devel

Re: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look

From: Wesley Smith
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look in a separate partition for core.img?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 05:43:53 +0000 (UTC)

Colin Watson <cjwatson <at> ubuntu.com> writes:

> Yes, you can do this by using 'grub-install /dev/sda1' (or whatever the
> device name for your /boot partition is).

Thanks for your help, but no, it appears you cannot do this by simply using
"grub-install /dev/sdx". I tried this, and yes, it did make the target
partition bootable (it contained a Grub loader in its PBR). However, to ensure
the disk MBR had also been updated and was now getting its core.img file from
the /boot partition and not from the sectors immediately following it, I built
a dummy track containing just the MBR post-"grub-install" and nothing but zeros
after, and then I copied it to /dev/sda:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/track.image bs=512 count=63
dd if=/dev/sda of=/track.image bs=512 count=1 conv=notrunc
dd if=/track.image of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=63

If the MBR no longer needs the embedded core.img, then it being replaced with
empty sectors shouldn't bother Grub the slightest. Unfortunately, upon reboot I
was greeted only with the word "GRUB" and a blinking cursor, which I took to
mean it couldn't find core.img and was unable to proceed.

It would be nice if Grub2 could both make a partition bootable and also install
an MBR that relied on that partition (rather than the embedded core.img). I
know this is "dangerous," but it is necessary sometimes, and it was not at all
difficult to accomplish with legacy Grub.