grub-devel

Re: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look in a separate partition for core.img?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:11:35 +0100

I had also problems to install grub2 to a partition boot record. It complained and wouldn't do it. But it was necessary, because the laptop bios I wanted to boot the usb stick, did actually ignore the mbr but insisted on starting the partition boot record.

I compiled a g2ldr and used the latest grubinst-1.1-bin-w32-2008-01-01 to install grub into mbr and the partitions boot record using the grub2 flag. This worked only when g2ldr was present on the root of the partitions fat32 fs.

Can anybody explain the difference of this approach and why it works?

thanks ede