grub-devel

RFC: Support Linux command line variants in grub-mkconfig

From: Martin Orr
Subject: RFC: Support Linux command line variants in grub-mkconfig
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:03:53 +0000

I would like to be able to choose between alternative Linux command lines in my GRUB menu (specifically, I want a "selinux=0" option, but I can imagine that people might want other things). I could add an extra script to /etc/grub.d to do this, but then I have to copy the logic in 10_linux to detect what kernel versions are available, and they do not appear in the correct place in the menu. It would be simpler if you could specify variant command lines in /etc/default/grub and have them handled automatically in 10_linux.

The attached patch allows (for example) the following configuration in /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_LINUX_VARIANTS="noselinux kms"

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_noselinux="selinux=0"
GRUB_LABEL_LINUX_noselinux="SELinux disabled"

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_kms="i915.modesetting=1"
GRUB_LABEL_LINUX_kms="KMS enabled"

This patch is only intended as a demonstration: various details of the implementation still need to be sorted out, such as internationalization. Suggestions of wildly different approaches/configuration interfaces are welcome.

Best wishes,

--
Martin Orr