grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:02:48 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 07.01.2010, 23:27 -0600 schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> since /dev/
> operating
> in grub.cfg,
> pre-UUID GRUB
> >> Are you are implying that UUID will be the only way?  I don't use
> >> initrd's on my systems so I need root=(hd0,x) or root=(/dev/foo).
> >> AFAIK initrd is the only way to load with UUIDs.
> >
> > I think you're mixing up two different things. There are two 'root'
> > variables involved:
> >
> >   1) GRUB's 'root' variable, its base for filesystem operations
> >   2) The root= parameter passed to the Linux kernel, which
> identifies
> >      the desired root filesystem
> >
> > Robert is talking about 1), but whether you use an initrd/initramfs
> is
> > only relevant to 2).
>
> OK, I didn't realize set root was capable of using UUIDs.  I did know
> that the two root entries were different.  I got that mixed up with
> the
> search command combined with the root=UUID=... which I think needs
> initrd.
>
> Do I have it right now?

set root only supports plain GRUB devices.
search --set sets $root (for GRUB, not for Linux) to the first device
found with that UUID, LABEL or file. Depending on the other argument to
search command.

> Should 'set root' be renamed to 'set grubroot'?  I think something
> like
> that would prevent some confusion.
>
>    -- Bruce

I don't get why there's a confusion at all.
It should be clear that the value specified with the linux command is
for it and not for GRUB.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer