grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 22:30:10 +0100

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 04:00:23PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Just leave it with (/dev/foo).
>
> You mean literally with the parentheses? I don't understand, since /dev/
> names will be unintelligible to GRUB when running outside an operating
> system.

Yes.  This just means we'd have "set root=(/dev/foo)" statements in grub.cfg,
but those are just meant as a backward compatibility hack for pre-UUID GRUB
installs.

Which I guess addresses your next question:

> > If you remove device.map generation from grub-install, you can remove
> > the backward compatibility hack while at it.
>
> Which backward compatibility hack?

:-)

However, notice that after David Miller's remark about Sparc support, it's
probably better to:

  - Keep the backward compatibility hack.

  - Not remove device.map on Sparc yet (untill a better solution is available)

> > In the future, we can rely on the initial value of $root as well, but this
> > would require some rework (disk / partition split).
>
> Would you mind elaborating on this? I would like to get this sorted out
> and am willing to work on it.

Uhm actually I'm not completely sure this would work, as multi-disk setups
have multiple values for initial $root.

Better just ignore this part ;-)

> Sorry to be stupid,

Not at all!

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi