grub-devel

Re: Documenting the GRUB configure (during build)

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: Documenting the GRUB configure (during build)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:28:09 -0800 (PST)

Quoting Bruce Dubbs, who wrote the following on Thu, 10 Dec 2009:

Robert Millan wrote:
On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 03:42:24PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
I'm afraid I don't agree that the solution to documenting changes is not to document anything. That may be a little harsh, but I firmly believe that documentation is key to acceptance.

It's OK.  Well my concern is about long-term maintainability.  We're very
busy all the time, and redundancy in our codebase often results in birot.

Can I count on your commitment that you'll be around to adjust this
documentation if it gets out of sync, etc?

Yes, I think you can. I've always been interested in the boot process. I remember disassembling the boot sector back in the late '80s to see what was going on. That was before I knew about open source and the use of the internet became generally available (I didn't have it).

I went back to school late in life (91-93) and my dissertation was on the effects of comments on the maintainability of source code. :)

Now I'm semi-retired and I think I can commit to a few years. I don't think my interest will wane. :)

 You're the dream-person to do this job.  And bless you for taking it on :).

 --S