grub-devel

Re: Broken common.rmk change

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Broken common.rmk change
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:48:07 +0100

David Miller wrote:
> From: Robert Millan <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:10:26 +0100
>

>> grub-mkconfig generates a grub.cfg that relies on UUIDs instead
>> of hardcoding, etc.
>>

> Well, for one thing I don't use initrd's for my Linux kernels,
> therefore specifying root devices via UUIDs isn't going to work.

The problem actually is the following:
When we're in OS we know the OS device name but not the firmware device
name. So we're able to generate correct root= for kernel command line
but can only guess which names you would need for grub's set root=. The
solution we're going for is to have UUID of fs stored in grub.cfg and go
through all partitions on boot and find the right one nd set it to root
variable. As for passing root= kernel parameter the decision of using
device name or UUID= is based on heuristics (sigh) but you can disable
them altogether in /etc/default/grub:

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to
Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true