grub-devel

Customization of GRUB2

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Customization of GRUB2
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:20:01 -0600

I am trying to provide documentation about GRUB2 (1.97.1) customization for the Linux From Scratch book. I am having quite a bit of trouble finding anything describing how to set up a splash screen directly in grub.cfg.

I've looked in info, faqs, the GRUB2 wiki, and google. I do find references to /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme, but that is an indirect way of customizing grub.cfg. I am trying to show our LFS users how to edit grub.cfg directly.

Right now I have tried a reasonably simple configuration:

### grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=15

insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,1)

loadfont /grub/unifont.pf2
#set gfxmode="1024x768;800x600;640x480"
insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe
insmod png

terminal_output gfxterm
if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
    terminal gfxterm
fi

if background_image=/grub/lfs-logo2.png ; then
    set menu_color_normal=red/black
    set menu_color_highlight=green/black
else
    set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
    set menu_color_highlight=white/blue
fi

#menuentrys

The primary function of GRUB, booting the OS, works great. However
the background image does not display.

Dropping to the command line shows that gfxterm is enabled, the font is loaded, and the background image is loaded.

terminfo shows VT100.

Reloading the background image from the command line brings up the image and returning to the menu then works with the image now displayed, although I can not find any documentation or examples on how to control the menu frame or menu items.

I hesitate to claim that the problem I am having is a bug in the code, but I do wonder if the problem is in my configuration or the code.

Any insights or pointers to documentation of customization or examples of grub.cfg will be much appreciated.

  -- Bruce