grub-devel

Re: gettextize normal/menu_text.c (print_timeout)

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: gettextize normal/menu_text.c (print_timeout)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:54:22 +0000

Hi,

On Nov/25/2009, Vladimir '??-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> Yes.
> >>

> > ok!

> >> These are still not right.  We can't have newlines in the middle of a
> >> translatable string.
> >>

> > I disagree. We have to give to the translators the minimum unit of
> > "sense", and in this case it's three lines. We cannot force translators
> > to translate the same sentence line by line because:
> >
> > a) they will not have enough context
> > b) they cannot rephrase enough
> > c) maybe in other language the first line would be longer and the second
> > shorter, and if we split they cannot fix (less flexibility for them).
> >
> > Agree with me?
> >

> The real problem is that these newlines are hardcoded into string
> whereas they should be put on runtime since terminal width may vary (the
> string as is is tailored for 80 columns terminal)

this makes more sense (I didn't had in mind that the terminal width can
vary). I will delete the new lines and make a function that splits the
string after WIDTH_TERMINAL without splitting words.

I thought that Robert wanted to have 3 strings to translate, one per
line, not one long dynamic string.

Thanks,

--
Carles Pina i Estany