grub-devel

Re: gfxmenu available in experimental

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: gfxmenu available in experimental
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:04:04 +0100

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:17:51PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder'
> Serbinenko wrote:
>
>> Hello, all. After various delays with various cause I'm proud to
>> announce the availability of Colin's gfxmenu into experimental branch of
>> grub2.
>>

> Very nice!  Thanks Vladimir for reviewing this; and Colin, thank you very much
> for your contribution to GRUB.
>

>> Example menu is available at
>> http://grub.gibibit.com/files/overlay_2009-07-19.tar.gz . It's not yet
>> decided whether central repository for themes will be created.
>>

> There could be an official GRUB theme, which would go in our Bazaar
> repository,

I don't see any special need for this. Perhaps only to promote GRUB. I
don't know if Bazaar is well suited for handling binary files though.
And as a GNU project we would need to check licenses of pictures, logos,
fonts and so on before we can include it. If such a check is a burden or
the result isn't clear I prefer not to have any theme at all. Actually I
prefer not to put any artwork in repository and if GNU is to distribute
a theme at all perhaps it could be just a tarball download from
alpha.gnu.org
> and maybe also a separate  Debian theme (Felix and I need to discuss about
> what we like best).  And I guess other distros will want to have their own
> branding.

Distros are free to create their themes
> Other than that, it'd be good to have some central facility that could be
> used by theme authors.  I'm not sure what kind of resource would be good,
> but our Bazaar is NOT the right place.

Agreed. I thought about something like http://www.gnome-look.org/.
Perhaps they would even agree to host GRUB themes too. This way we
offload the task but I don't know if GNU can recommend gnome-look.org.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko