grub-devel

Re: grub-mkrescue and hard links

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub-mkrescue and hard links
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:39:53 +0100

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:22:57PM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> grub-mkrescue is trying to execute cp -dpRl (l for link). If the origin
>> and destination directories are in different file systems this fails.
>>

> One of the purposes of grub-mkrescue is to generate images that are bootable
> using GRUB.  These images might be complete CDs or DVDs, making a complete
> copy very undesireable.

Why do you need copying at all? mkisofs supports taking source files
from multiple directories:
mkdir h1
mkdir h2
echo 4 > h1/hh
echo 5 > h1/hx
mkisofs -o h.iso h1 h2
isoinfo -l -i h.iso

Directory listing of /
d---------   0    0    0            2048 Nov 21 2009 [     23 02]  .
d---------   0    0    0            2048 Nov 21 2009 [     23 02]  ..
----------   0    0    0               2 Nov 21 2009 [     24 00]  HH.;1
----------   0    0    0               2 Nov 21 2009 [     25 00]  HX.;1

So you can just take grub files from temporary directory and overlay
from its original place

On a side note: when I did:
./grub-mkrescue -o grub.iso overlay
it added a directory named overlay to iso. E.g: I had a folder
overlay/boot instead of /boot on iso

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko