grub-devel

Re: Feature request: network devices

From: mardok45
Subject: Re: Feature request: network devices
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:02:06 -0500

Before I give you an answer, let me explain what I plan on doing.  If you like it, and if I succeed, then I'll give back the changes I made.  If not, then I won't waste everybody's time anymore.

I plan on using Macintosh's "Netboot" (which is just like PXE except for a few minor details) to boot Grub2 off a DHCP/TFTP server.  Once loaded on the client, Grub2 will fetch the grub.cfg from the TFTP server.

The grub.cfg will contain entries that are the same as booting off the local disk; except in this case, it fetches the kernel and initrd via TFTP.

Adding TFTP support is all I'm going to do, nothing else.  Also, I have no problem using Etherboot's code-base.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden> wrote:
mardok45 wrote:
> I am interested in it as a learning project for me.  I only have
> access to New World Macintosh's, so I can only get TFTP working for
> Open Firmware Mac's.  I imagine that won't be of much use to you.
>
> Remember, I can't make any promises, but I am very interested in
> getting TFTP to work (with Open Firmware) since that will make my job
> much, much more centralized and convenient.
The best long-term and cross-platform approach is to import gpxe into
grub-extras. Are you willing to do it?

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko