grub-devel

Re: grub-1.97

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: grub-1.97
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:41:22 -0500

Felix Zielcke wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 28.10.2009, 11:02 -0500 schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
Since there is only one Makefile, I could take a shot at creating a
patch to address this problem. Would you be interested in such a patch?

That's wrong that there is just one Makefile. Well it's true that there
is just one file named like that, but the main Makefiles are the
conf/*.mk files generated from conf/*.rmk by genmk.rb.

Yes I see that now. Obviously I spoke before reviewing the internals of the build system. I'll review it in a bit more detail and see if I can contribute something useful.

There wasn't yet much talk about improving our build system.

Yes, that and documentation are generally the last things to be considered in a project.

But except of this nobody had much interest/time to improve or even
directly replace our build system by something better.

I have some interest, but I'm not sure of the time. I can at least look at it and possibly make some suggestions/patches.

Okuji already objected against automake because according to him it
doestn't satisfy the needs for our build system.

I'm not a great fan of automake either.

  -- Bruce