grub-devel

Feature Request: 32-bit mem write and 'setpci -s' type command in menu.

From: Nando
Subject: Feature Request: 32-bit mem write and 'setpci -s' type command in menu.lst
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 22:33:01 +1100

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if the following features could be added to grub?

1/ Ability to write to 32-bit memory space

I need to set my ICH8M chipset to enable the SMBUS, since the bios disables it. Rather than add the code to the kernel, I'd prefer to do it in grub. Grub4dos has such a facility but no such facility in grub's menu.lst. None that I found anyway. I need to write to following to have access ot my ICS PLL to be able to do overclocking:

write 0xFED93418 0xC330005

2/ Ability to do a setpci -s type command

Also, if possible, could a small subset of 'setpci' be incorporated as well? I guess I could figure out the address I need to write to by calculation, but would be nice if I could do the equivalent of the following in grub, associated with a menu entry. This would help the DIY ViDock project that needs to setup PCI Bridge windows prior to Windows load, something that many bios doesn't do, neither does Windows.

setpci -s 00:02.0 40l=20

Comments?? Suggestions??

Nando