grub-devel

Re: Mad idea: grub-fuse

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Mad idea: grub-fuse
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:49:03 +0200

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Colin Watson<address@hidden> wrote:
> os-prober mounts filesystems using Linux's filesystem drivers. This of
> course means that we have to go to special lengths to avoid replaying
> journals (we don't yet, but we should), we have to load huge piles of
> filesystem modules, etc.
>
> Today's crazy idea was to implement a FUSE wrapper for grub-fstest,
> thereby providing a read-only filesystem mount using GRUB's filesystem
> drivers. There would be lots of things you probably wouldn't be able to
> do this way, but it would be enough to support os-prober (which could of
> course only use this optionally, but even so).
>
> I can't decide whether or not this is a terrible idea, so I'm sending
> mail in case somebody thinks it's a good idea and wants to run with it.
> :-)

Actually I had this idea before but haven't had any time to implement
or think more about it. This would be useful for massive multi-OS
environment since fuse is available on many platforms but many of FS
drivers aren't. Implementing fuse wrapper for grub fs drivers is
useful. However I'm not sure if it should go to main repository - this
project isn't really about booting. I think that it's useful but
should be a separate "spin-off" project