grub-devel

Mad idea: grub-fuse

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Mad idea: grub-fuse
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:30:30 +0100

os-prober mounts filesystems using Linux's filesystem drivers. This of
course means that we have to go to special lengths to avoid replaying
journals (we don't yet, but we should), we have to load huge piles of
filesystem modules, etc.

Today's crazy idea was to implement a FUSE wrapper for grub-fstest,
thereby providing a read-only filesystem mount using GRUB's filesystem
drivers. There would be lots of things you probably wouldn't be able to
do this way, but it would be enough to support os-prober (which could of
course only use this optionally, but even so).

I can't decide whether or not this is a terrible idea, so I'm sending
mail in case somebody thinks it's a good idea and wants to run with it.
:-)