grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Eliminate NESTED_ATTR_FUNC

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [RFC] Eliminate NESTED_ATTR_FUNC
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:06:45 +0200

> Hi,
>
> Oh, I was wrong previously, gcc does respect __attribute__
> ((__regparm__ (3))) flag (I forget to add -Os so it still uses stack
> to store value). And the bug is still there ! Try this test program:
I confirm with gcc-4.4
This is a grave problem then. This check was added by Marco Gerards
(maintainer) in 2003. He added a workaround but I don't believe such
behaviour to be correct. We're both GNU projects. IMO the correct
action would have been to report the bug to gcc-devel and refuse to
compile unless bug is fixed. This way users would update to newer gcc
patchlevel (e.g. 4.2.(X+1) instead of 4.2.X) instead of compiling with
buggy compiler. One GNU project shouldn't have expensive workaround
(we had bugs because of NESTED_FUNC_ATTR misuse)
Now we're in feature freeze but I hope in the future we'll be able to
change to correct behaviour when freeze is over.