grub-devel

Re: Require at least gcc 4.2

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Require at least gcc 4.2
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 22:04:27 +0800

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Vladimir 'phcoder'
Serbinenko<address@hidden> wrote:
> It looks like grub2's codebase triggers bugs in old compiler. I don't
> feel like we should support these compilers at all. Hence this patch.
> If someone wants to use older compiler he's free to patch this check
> out but this way he's aware that we don't support gcc prior to 4.2

Hi,

I don't think it's gcc's version that's causing the problem, it's the
bug of some local port like apple's gcc. In fact, I've been using
mingw gcc 3.4.5 for a long time and doesn't seem to have issue. It'd
be nice to locate the specific bug and write a small test problem to
check for it (something like NESTED_FUNC_ATTR), instead of reply
blindly on gcc version. (what if apple's gcc-4.2 also contain some bug
?)

--
Bean

gitgrub home: http://github.com/grub/grub/