grub-devel

Re: Re[2]: 'password' command in GRUB 2?

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Re[2]: 'password' command in GRUB 2?
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 01:58:26 +0200

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Robert Millan<address@hidden> wrote:

> I had a look at grub_cmdline_get(), and it would need some restructuring in
> order not to enforce static allocation.  I admit it doesn't make sense to
> put this patch on hold because of it.
>
> Vladimir, please go ahead with your latest patch.  I will try to change
> grub_cmdline_get() semantics later if I get some time.

Comitted. Beware that it needs more review and testing before
considering it somewhat secure (well we don't really need to be more
secure than firmware password unless we're firmware).
Additionally using plaintext support (currently the only supported) is
a bad practise. I'll look if I have time to implement a form of
cryptographic password (e.g. scrypt) before 1.97 freeze.