grub-devel

Re: TPM support status ?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: TPM support status ?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:10:17 +0200

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 03:24:34PM +0200, Michael Gorven wrote:
> If you don't want to follow their requirements, then don't.

They never had the right to impose arbitrary requirements to media they
produce.  Under the US Constitution (and just about every jurisdiction in
the world) they can't ever get absolute rights over data once they hand it
over to you.

In other words, there's no such thing as "intellectual property".

And this "you opted in" argument is a fallacy.  If people were free to choose
between a crippled and a non-crippled option, they would always choose the
non-crippled one.  The only way they ever accept those terms is either
because they don't have choice or they're missinformed.

--
Robert Millan