grub-devel

Re: Configuration option to disable os-prober?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Configuration option to disable os-prober?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:31:21 +0200

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 04:38:23PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some people seem to want to disable os-prober for various reasons (e.g.
> they have lots of test installations lying around that they don't
> normally want to get in the way, or they don't want installations on
> external drives to be included permanently in the boot menu, etc.). Now,
> they can just remove the os-prober package, but that doesn't really
> scale as other packages are allowed to depend on it too.
>
> Perhaps we could have a configuration option for this? Patch attached.

Hi,

I'm unfamiliar with os-prober.  What other purposes are there for installing
it?  grub-mkconfig is the only one I can think of, so the situation you
describe sounds very unlikely.  Could you ellaborate?

I'm concerned about the number of options in grub-mkconfig in general.  It
has a tendency to grow a lot, and unfortunately they're not documented.

--
Robert Millan