grub-devel

Re: [RFC] New object format for grub2

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [RFC] New object format for grub2
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 19:21:58 -0400

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 00:57 +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

> What about SELF? (coreboot format) If it's sane I would prefer to
> share a format between these 2 projects.

The description is here: http://www.coreboot.org/SELF

I think the biggest problem is lack of support for any relocations.
Even if we resolve all symbols against the kernel, modules still may
depend on other modules.

Either we preallocate all modules to fixed places in memory, or we'll
need to use the PARAMS section to hold relocations, magic numbers,
versions and so on.

My impression in that the SELF format is too dumb and we don't want to
go there.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin