grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:56:42 +0100

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:47:15AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:31:57PM +0100, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > On Jun/22/2009, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> > > On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Carles Pina i Estany
> > > <address@hidden>wrote:
> > > Actually I think it would be a good move to provide translations of e.g.
> > > error strings, output and help texts even if I personally will never use
> > > this feature. In other words I would translate the same parts as are
> > > translated in a typical linux counterparts. But I would like to discuss
> > > other possibilities as well.
> >
> > same feelings here
> >
> > Robert, I think that Ubuntu people was interested to translate Grub. Do
> > they want to translate only the frontcover or all messages? (for
> > example, to do something as easy as adding init=/bin/bash in one
> > operating system entry, that users may have to do even if Grub is
> > working...)
> >
> > The patch to translate Grub (booting time) is not very big and should
> > not add problems in terms of Grub mantainability (when it's done).
>
> I suppose input from them will be helpful.  Let's CC them.

Nobody's given me requirements for this yet so I don't really know for
sure.

I believe that the requirements we have for translation are mainly
requests from OEM distributors who want to tick the boxes for
distribution in various locales, mainly making sure that their standard
setup displays a boot menu that's legible to each target audience. I
would expect that the ability to translate menu text and anything else
displayed in normal code paths (e.g. menu header text, advice on
keystrokes for editing menu entries, etc.) is most important to us, and
anything else is secondary.

I don't really care very much about translation of error messages
myself. If your system fails to boot then there are loads of things
other than the boot loader that might plausibly only be able to give you
errors in English anyway.

Thanks,