grub-devel

Re: Proposal for GNU indent compatibility

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Proposal for GNU indent compatibility
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:01:47 +0200

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello!

In order to encourage developers to use proper indentation on the newly
added code, I suggest that we accept the default style of GNU indent.
I agree with proposition

That is, the space after "!" should not be needed.  That's the only
difference I'm aware of.
I ran indent on whole codebase. It failed on ./lib/LzmaDec.c and ./script/lua/lvm.c and issued warnings on  ./script/lua/ldump.c and  ./script/lua/lundump.c
It made following changes.
1) Cut long lines. Not always in a sensible place
2) Added a space before parenthesis in __attribute__ ((...))
3) Put newlines after ^L, not around
4) Removed space after !
5) Fixed spaces
6) Added spaces before comment if comment shares a line with code
7) Merged short lines in arguments
8) Removed spaces before labels
9) Added a space after &
10) in initializations like
a = {
..
};
it has put { on new line and without spacing
Perhaps something more. The patch would be 77280 lines. If someone there would be a way to check indent doen't introduce bugs we could run it sometimes on all .c files.

Running indent on the code and then adding spaces after "!" is
ridiculous, in my opinion.  GRUB and indent are both GNU programs, it
should not be needed to do such things.

That doesn't mean that we should start reformatting the existing code.
Neither does it mean that it's acceptable to submit code that GNU indent
failed to format nicely.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin