grub-devel

Re: 2273 lines in 170 files consists of only space and tabulators

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: 2273 lines in 170 files consists of only space and tabulators
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 21:53:07 -0400

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 12:25 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> address@hidden:~/grub/grub2.git$ rgrep -E "^[[:blank:]]+$" *|wc -l
> 2273
> address@hidden:~/grub/grub2.git$ rgrep -E "^[[:blank:]]+$" *|sed -e
> 's/:.*//'|uniq|wc -l
> 170
>
> Anyone wants me to do
> find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i -r -e 's/^[[:blank:]]+$//'
> or does someone object?
> [:blank:] doestn't contain these ^L chars.
>
> By the way `git diff --color' shows if you introduce such a line with
> red, but strangely not when you remove one.

Since we have linear development, it shouldn't be a problem for merging
patches.  Besides, "patch" can be told to ignore whitespace differences.

However, I would prefer that we remove all trailing whitespace, not just
that on empty lines.  That is, remove "^" from the sed expression.

As for the script, make sure that it's not run on any special files used
by Subversion or git.  Maybe use DISTLIST.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin