grub-devel

Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 12:13:02 +0200

Am Montag, den 01.06.2009, 09:37 -0400 schrieb Pavel Roskin:
> It looks like savannah.gnu.org has suffered a data loss.  The last
> valid
> backup is for April.  Please see http://savannah.gnu.org/ for details.
>
> Since now having a repository affects out effectiveness, we may opt to
> switch to a git repository.  The git service is down now, but the
> status
> report says it will be restarted soon:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2009-05/msg00023.html

Savannah has recovered now:
https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=5828

I checked out both their SVN backups with rsync.
The April one seems to be really working but the incomplete May not:
$ svnadmin verify grub-new
svnadmin: No such revision 0
The April one is up to rev 2148.

So now we have to decide what to do.

Unfortunately Okuji already objected against git [0]
Though I don't understand why the 3-way merge could be a problem. With
SVN you even can't do local commits and with git you don't need to use
them if you have fear. Or even merging from other people like the Kernel
team does. We could still use it more like SVN.

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2007-12/msg00094.html
--
Felix Zielcke