grub-devel

Re: grub-mkconfig for combined serial and console

From: Daniel Reurich
Subject: Re: grub-mkconfig for combined serial and console
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:21:33 +1200

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 02:24 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 12:09 +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'd like to be able to define terminal --timeout=5 serial console in a
> > way that grub-mkconfig will automatically set that when updating the
> > grub.cfg file.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to do this (and disable the use of gfxterm).
>
> See 00_header file (it's installed to /usr/local/etc/grub.d by default).
> Try variables found in that file, such as GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT,
> GRUB_TIMEOUT, GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND and others.

I did before I posted.  grub-mkconfig seems to have been designed around
the (false) assumption that one would only ever want a single terminal
interface rather than the option to choose at boot time, and thus only
allows either console or serial but not both.

I believe GRUB_TIMEOUT has nothing to do with the --timeout option of
the terminal module.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Reurich

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Ph 021 797 722