grub-devel

Re: Grub2 svn2059

From: Andreas Born
Subject: Re: Grub2 svn2059
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 15:56:05 +0200

BandiPat schrieb:
Thanks Andreas, I just figured that out as well when testing on another machine just now. If you still have the file I sent you for svn2059, would you mind testing it on your machine as well. I'm tempted to send you the svn2059 or 2065 to compile on your current machine, to see if it behaves differently than the one I built. Be prepared though, as I'm sure you'll need to re-install svn2031 back after 2059 fails to boot. Keep your LiveCD available to reboot! :-)
I tested the svn2059-60.1 build on my current Zenwalk installation. It would boot here, but I have it installed to superblock of my ext3 partition, so that might be the difference. Therefore I installed grub2 to the MBR, but like that it would work too.
But I noticed two other problems:

   * If I drop to console with 'c' from the menu and then reload the
     menu with 'configfile (hd0,3)/boot/grub/grub.cfg', 'prefix' is
     unset and I can't boot. If I drop then back to console I can set
     'prefix' properly to '(hd0,3)/boot/grub' and boot from console,
     but configfile won't work.
   * With the 'linux' loader as opposed to the 'linux16' loader, I
     would always get a verbose splash, although I force a silent one
     with 'splash=silent'. My assumption was that the kernel parameters
     are ignored at all, but passing a wrong root resulted in a error.
     So either only 'splash=silent' is ignored or its something
     completely different. I think the problem is related to the one
     described in "New linux loader doesn't like vga=1".

Andreas