grub-devel

Re: [Patch] Move normal.mod to conf/common.rmk

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: [Patch] Move normal.mod to conf/common.rmk
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:36:21 +0100

Actually if it was up to me I would have removed setjmp altogether. IMHO it's a bad programming technique. It's used only to launch rescue mode. I would just call the rescue mode interpreter by function. Perhaps Bean who is working on normal.mod splitting has even better idea. Also IMO normal.mod should have no arch-dependent parts and setjmp.S is an unfortunate example. If some platforms need a special service then it could be provided by drivers and/or commands. I see no reason why additional cpu or platform-dependent would appear in normal.mod setjmp could even be put in a separate module but it's quite a waste because ELF overhead is much bigger then the module itself. Another possibility is ot compile it like

## common.rmk ##

normal.mod: <common files> setjmp.lib

normal_arch.lib: setjmp.S

Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
phcoder wrote:
Hello. I propose to create a symlink normal/cpu. This way normal.mod can
be moved to conf/common.rmk. Works fine on i386-pc. Can people having
other platforms test?

I do not like the fact that you hardcoded filenames what can be on
platform dependant parts.

I have also though this issue some times and I think the best option
would be:

## common.rmk ##

normal.mod: <common files> normal_arch.lib

## arch.rmk ##

normal_arch.lib: setjmp.S <or what ever is needed for the platform.>