grub-devel

Re: Possible improvements to build system

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Possible improvements to build system
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:50:10 +0100

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:14:26PM +0100, phcoder wrote:
> 2. ata.mod, hdparm.mod, ata_pthru.mod, usbms.mod, ohci.mod, uhci.mod,
> usbtest.mod, usb.mod, memdisk.mod
> I don't see why these modules are in i386-pc.rmk and not in common.rmk

This is because nobody implemented grub_in* and grub_out* functions on
powerpc.  But in the meantime, they could move to i386.rmk.

As for memdisk, it used to depend on the image format (thus PE had to be
excluded), but IIRC this is not so anymore.  It could move to common.rmk.

> 3. kernel.img, grub-setup
> These contain a number of files shared by all platforms. Like e.g.
> filesystems. I propose to create an additional file common-pre.rmk which
> could contain the variables like
> FS_files=...
> which platform-specific files can use later

This is trickier than it seems.  Many of the gen* scripts parse those files
and changing them this way would break stuff.  It needs to be done carefully.

--
Robert Millan